Tuesday 11 October 2022

Lucy's 5 best tips for learnining new vocabulary

Here are my 5 best tips for learning and remembering English vocabulary:

1. Make it part of your lifestyle! Try to think in English when you have peaceful moments in your everyday life. This could be when you are travelling to work, or taking a break.
2. Fill in the gaps! When you notice that you don't know a word, write it down immediately in your vocab diary, and then research it and the end of the day. This is all about lifestyle! It needs to be something you aim to do every day! I created The English Plan for this exact purpose - this method helped me to become fluent in my second language.
3. Read children's books in English! This was something I loved to do! Children's books are designed to teach children to read and write - and this will work for you too! Go to your local library or charity shop, or order some used children's books online. This doesn't have to be an expensive process. Perhaps you can share them with another learner of English when you're done?
4. Watch English TV shows! - This one may seem obvious, but it's really important to pick the right show according to your level. For beginners, I always recommend Peppa Pig - in each episode there is so much great vocab for everyday life! I actually made a video with my recommendations for TV shows for each level of English. Watch it here.
5. Listen to chatty podcasts! Try to see in advance if the podcast also has a transcript. These podcasts will prepare you to join in more conversations, and will probably include more slang and informal vocabulary. Have a look at the UK top podcast charts.

Up to which extent do you agree with Lucy?

Do write your own best tip(s) for learning and remembering vocabulary and send them to the Post a Comment section below!

3 comments:

Albion said...

Few things can be said after Lucy's list, but I'll try.
Something that is vital in my experience as English student is to have fun while I´m doing things, in my case I love playing old video games, so I play them in English, in that way I have a good time and learn new words that are useful in my process of acquiring knowledge. But there's more, while you are reading the text on the screen or reading a book in English, you are raising your tolerance to the written English and you feel more confortable with it.
Watching movies or tv shows in English is also a good method as Lucy said, but I challenge all of you to watch a movie without subtitles of any type, raw as people of internet say or in original version.
I think that's all.
p.d. Albion is my nickname, my name is Julio Ponce from c2

ephedra said...

I have recently discovered a girl on tik tok Who recommend to use a plugin on your computer, on chrome. This plugin woks with Netflix and It allows you to read english and spanish subtitles at the same time. You can also know the meaning of every Word just clicking on them. The plugin's name is language reactor. I hope It helps you!

This is Ana Belén Cerezuela, from C2

Miguel Ángel said...

Thanks Albion, thanks Ana; I'm pretty sure your advice will help English students improve their vocacabulary. It's always interesting to use new techniques to check they work with you too.